Tuesday 20 January 2015

Tears streaming in seconds...

*

I was listening to a Liszt piano transcription of the Liebestod from Wagner's Tristan and Isolde, when I though I would listen to the original - sung - version of the piece; and found one performed by Jessye Norman under Karajan conducting the Vienna Philharmonic.

From a standing-start and within some ridiculously short period of time, ten to fifteen seconds perhaps, tears were streaming down my face and I was gulping for breath - and then matters got worse.

*

This is an almost viciously beautiful performance combining one of the most wonderful of arias/ pieces of music; with a gorgeous voice, consummate orchestral playing, and simply sublime musicianship from one of the greatest-ever conductors.

If you insist on inflicting this upon yourself then jump in at about 4 minutes 30 seconds; just listen, don't watch the video; and hold on tight.

But at your own risk: I will accept no responsibility.



*

4 comments:

Nicholas Fulford said...

Will listen when I get home. There are few things I enjoy more in life than shaking with tears as powerful music plays me. I look forward to it, but will shut my bedroom door to avoid disturbing other members of my household with my blubbering.

Anonymous said...

Either it's these crummy computer speakers or your ear is more finely attuned than mine. When I want a good cry, I go for something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C_QU16zrSU

or this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qxi-sYUT9s

(I wish Dvorak had added a couple of extra repetitions of the melody by having a tenor as the Man in the Moon answer her. It would have rivaled "Leave Me Not to Pine" by H. Gilbert and A. Sullivan.)

And for a lump in the throat, this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLZkl5XxYKI

I have to admit, these pieces did not have their usual effects on me just now as I researched the links. Again, perhaps the aforementioned speakers are at fault or my mood is wrong.

Another good piece is "Lontarno, Lontarno, Lontarno" from Boito's intimate epic Mefestofele, one of three 'love' duets unequally divided among two girlfriends. And the entire final full act, set in ancient Troy, is almost a mini opera in itself.

Bruce Charlton said...

@360 Decrees- Well, thanks very much for the Korngold link (your first one) - the piece was new to me; and - yes - it induced blubbing.

The style of this piece seems like a Germanized Puccini (specifically La Boheme) - which is a good combination in my book.

josh said...

Sorry for the vulgarity, but I thought this was kind of funny.

The commercial before the aria began (before I was allowed to skip):

"I used to hate pooping in public..."

How's that for contrast?